Estimated total number of people per grid-cell. The dataset is available to download in Geotiff format at a resolution of 3 arc (approximately 100m at the equator). The projection is Geographic Coordinate System, WGS84. The units are number of people per pixel. "NoData" values represent areas that were mapped as unsettled based on the outputs of the Built-Settlement Growth Model (BSGM) developed by Jeremiah J.Nieves et al. 2020.
The mapping approach is the Random Forests-based dasymetric redistribution developed by Stevens et al. (2015). The disaggregation was done by Maksym Bondarenko (WorldPop) and David Kerr (WorldPop), using the Random Forests population modelling R scripts (Bondarenko et al., 2020), with oversight from Alessandro Sorichetta (WorldPop).
- Stevens FR, Gaughan AE, Linard C, Tatem AJ (2015) Disaggregating Census Data for Population Mapping Using Random Forests with Remotely-Sensed and Ancillary Data. PLoS ONE 10(2): e0107042. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0107042
- WorldPop (www.worldpop.org - School of Geography and Environmental Science, University of Southampton; Department of Geography and Geosciences, University of Louisville; Departement de Geographie, Universite de Namur) and Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN), Columbia University (2018). Global High Resolution Population Denominators Project - Funded by The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (OPP1134076).
- Jeremiah J. Nieves, Alessandro Sorichetta, Catherine Linard, Maksym Bondarenko, Jessica E. Steele, Forrest R. Stevens, Andrea E. Gaughan, Alessandra Carioli, Donna J. Clarke, Thomas Esch, Andrew J. Tatem, Annually modelling built-settlements between remotely-sensed observations using relative changes in subnational populations and lights at night, Computers, Environment and Urban Systems,Volume 80,2020,101444,ISSN 0198-9715,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2019.101444
- Nieves, J.J.; Bondarenko, M.; Sorichetta, A.; Steele, J.E.; Kerr, D.; Carioli, A.; Stevens, F.R.; Gaughan, A.E.; Tatem, A.J. Predicting Near-Future Built-Settlement Expansion Using Relative Changes in Small Area Populations. Remote Sens. 2020, 12, 1545.
- Bondarenko M., Nieves J. J., Stevens F. R., Gaughan A. E., Tatem A. and Sorichetta A. 2020. wpgpRFPMS: Random Forests population modelling R scripts, version 0.1.0. University of Southampton: Southampton, UK. https://dx.doi.org/10.5258/SOTON/WP00665
Bondarenko M., Kerr D., Sorichetta A., and Tatem, A.J. 2020. Census/projection-disaggregated gridded population datasets for 189 countries in 2020 using Built-Settlement Growth Model (BSGM) outputs. WorldPop, University of Southampton, UK. doi:10.5258/SOTON/WP00684